Tuesday 12/3 ~ Parallel Structure




PARALLEL STRUCTURE
                    >TO EXPRESS SIMILAR IDEAS IN SIMILAR GRAMMATICAL FORM<

Example:
  • Error: Jane is tall, blonde, and with blue eyes. 
  • Correct: Jane is tall, blonde, and blue-eyed.
Items in a series:
  • Error: He asked me to return his bike and that I should lock it up. 
  • Correct:  He asked me to return his bike and to lock it up. OR He asked that I return his bike and that I lock it up.
Comparisons:
  •  Error: I like tennis better than to play indoor games. 
  •  Correct:  I like tennis better than indoor games.
Practice: Now go to the spectacular resource by Grammarbytes and practice your new skill...here while Mrs. West checks your thesis sentence (20 pts). 

Red/Green Holdup: Use the activity on the back of the Parallel Structure page in your packet. 

Check it - Does your thesis follow parallel structure?  

HW: Upload your perfected Thesis and 3 Topic Sentences to the assignment on Focus called "CAB/Parallel Thesis."