Monday, February 5 ~ Sonnets


WARM UP


SAT Vocab Word #9 - (adj) - GARRULOUS - talkative, someone who talks just for the sake of talking, full of trivial conversation

GRAMMAR - commas

Bedford p. 378, 32e - take notes on this new rule
Exercise  32-3 on p. 382 - We will go over as a class

POETRY - sonnets

Terms to consider:
  • iambic pentameter
  • volta 
  • rhyme scheme
  • sonnet
  • stanza
  • couplet
  • octave
  • sestet
  • quatrain 


  • EQ: What is the difference between an Italian vs. a British sonnet? 
  

Here are a couple of examples.... Notice the Iambic Pentameter.

Italian Sonnet aks Petrarchan Sonnet


 British Sonnet aka Shakespearean Sonnet

Sonnet 130 by William Shakespeare

 Quatrain 1
     My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;  A
     Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;   B
     If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;   A
     If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.  B


Quatrain 2
     I have seen roses damasked, red and white,  C
     But no such roses see I in her cheeks;  D
     And in some perfumes is there more delight  C
     Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.  D



Quatrain 3
     I love to hear her speak, yet well I know  E
     That music hath a far more pleasing sound;  F
     I grant I never saw a goddess go;  E
     My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.  F



Couplet
     And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare  G
     As any she belied with false compare.  G



Guess the sonnet. Is it British or Italian?


 
HOMEWORK
Nope!

No comments:

Post a Comment