Wednesday, October 18 ~

Image result for research paper
Warm Up:

Prefix
  • meter - measure
  • micro - small
Suffix
  • ure - state of, act, process, rank
  • ward - in the direction of
  • y - inclined to, tend to  
  • Suffix list is officially complete!
 Research 
  • Check progress 
  • Check CAB style thesis
  • Check TIED-IED style body paragraphs
  • You will have today for my input
  • Block Day be prepared for a peer edit 
  • You should have paragraphs 1-3 complete (West class must have a complete rough draft.)
  • Work Cited Page 
  • In-Text Citation 
  • Citing Electronic Sources
FYI:
  • Roots QUIZ on Block
  • Research paper due Monday, October 23 

Another Writing Tool...
  • Journal 12: Please record notes on the TIE Method.
    • EQ: How can I incorporate quotes in a fluid way that uses the quote to build momentum rather than in a way that interrupts the text of my essay? 
    TIE METHOD Tag it, Introduce it, or Embed it.
    • TAG: Tag the context to the end of the quote.
      • Example: "I tell them [other revolutionaries] that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one," said Mandela in an interview on Larry King Live (King).
    • Introduce: Introduce the context of the quote to lead into the text.
      • Example: When Larry King interviewed Mandela about his past, Mandela explained a tough concept: "I tell them that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one" ("President Nelson Mandela One-on-One").
    • Embed: Embed the quote inside of the context sentence.  
      • Example: Mandela explained that he tells current revolutionaries "that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one" as advice about how to fight for equal rights (Larry King Live).
    • A few things to note: 
      • Notice in the Tag section that [the British] was added for clarity. You may add words for clarity within a quote by using the brackets too. 
      • Notice that the introduced quote can use a colon because the first sentence before the colon is a complete sentence and introduces the next. 
      • Notice that even though the quote is said by Mandela, he is not the source cited. The cited source must always correspond to an entry on the works cited page. 
    • Journal 12 for West - Activity...Write a quote down using one of the methods. Then pass it around...only three methods to TIE it up now!

No comments:

Post a Comment