Monday, January 9 ~ Poetry


Roots
  • micro - small 
  • neo - new
  • nov - new

 
Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.



Welcome back!

Above is one of my favorite poems by Langston Hughes.

Why is this poem significant to you?

You might be wondering why I like this poem? Also, you might be asking the question who the heck is Langston Hughes and what is the meaning behind the poem?

I chose to share this poem with you because as a single mother to a son, I often feel I do not have the words nor the ways that are suitable for raising a son on my own. My hope is that my son has watched me "a-climbin' on" and through his observations he will find the same strength to do the same.

Analysis: What about the wording or structure adds meaning to the poem? 

This free-verse poem expresses a mother's struggle by using the metaphor of a staircase. The repetition of the second and last line, "life for me ain't been no crystal stair" not only builds the structure of the poem, but gives importance to the idea that life is not always easy. Lines 3-7 go on to describe just how hard this mother's life has been. The words tacks, splinters, torn up, no carpet and bare are symbolic of the challenges in life. The metaphor of the staircase is a clever one, for it is a perfect way for a mother to encourage her children to not give up no matter what challenges are before you.

Who the heck is Langston Hughes?
  • American poet - born in 1902
  • Poet, novelist and playwright
  • African-American themes 
  • Major contributor to the Harlem Renaissance
  • Often criticized by other black intellectuals for his portrayal of black people in his writing
YOUR ASSIGNMENT
Well, I just laid it out above.
  1. Dig deep - find a poem that you can relate to. Find a poem with meaning. Find a poem that touches you in some way.  Can you write your own?
  2. Pretty picture - find an image that relates to your poem or create your own.
  3. Significance? Pour out your emotion - I was open with you as to why I chose my poem, now it's your turn.
  4. Pick it apart - aka: analyze it. Analyze the structure, devices, language, etc.
  5. Bullet the author - give important information about the poem's author (minimum 5 points).
IN A NUT SHELL: your final product will be a 1-2 page paper as a modeled above. Included will be Steps 3-5. Yes, you may put your author info. in bullet points. Don't forget MLA format.
Steps 1-2 will be on the smaller size poster board. Make 'em pretty. We need new "stuff" on our bulletin boards. (West's class will put all steps on the small poster board with the analysis and significance on the back; poem, image and author info on the front.)

Then for the grand finale.........you will present all 5 steps beginning on Wednesday, January 18.
ALL papers are due on Wed. Your poem and image are due on your assigned presentation day.

Here are a couple of websites that might be helpful Poetry Foundation, Poem Hunter

**The poem you choose must be from a published author.

No comments:

Post a Comment