Monday, September 8

Warm-up: Prefixes
  • ideo - idea
  • idios - one's own
  • in - in
Intro. Discussion: Agree, Disagree, or Somewhere in the Middle?
  1. My parents generally give me wise advice.
  2. I like having friends over for dinner with my family.
  3. My parents are embarrassing.
  4. My parents have had a deep influence on who I am today.
  5. I can remember a time when I tried to change myself to fit in.
EQ: What is Tan's purpose in writing this essay? Does she just want to entertain readers, or might she have a weightier goal?
Bio: Amy Tan
*Read this bio from the official Amy Tan website. What parts of her life might have made identity a complex issue.

Read Fish Cheeks and do the "Questions on Meaning" section in a new Notability document.

HW: First section of questions on Fish Cheeks (10 pts.). Use the link above to find text and questions.