Monday 4/28 ~ EQ: What if we were honest?

Warm-up:
In small groups of 4-5, read your Found Poetry. As a group, make sure that every poem has at least 5 correct Poetic Devices (8 if from a pair).
Turn them in in 20 minutes.

Today we look at a newer poem from Rudy Francisco, "Honest." As you watch, answer these questions....
    Quiz Prep Notes: Find all the poetic devices (there are at least 12 devices used, some more than once). How do these devices enrich the meaning or sound of the poem? Reference my quizlet set if you like.

    HW: Write one 5-10 sentence analysis about the meaning of the poem and turn it in on Focus under "Honest" Analysis. Use the actual text to justify your answers.



    Honest by Rudy Francisco

    Dear hands, I get it.
    You like writing poems,
    But you can bring a metaphor to a gun fight.

    Dear eyes,
    There are things that I would tell you
    But we both know how terrible you are at keeping secrets.

    Dear heart
    I trust you
    Don’t fuck this up

    Dear hands, I said I know
    That you like writing poetry,
    But you can bring a metaphor to a gun fight.

    Dear legs
    Walking is the easy part
    Now find a reason.

    Dear Brain
    You’re a good listener
    But you give terrible relationship advice.

    Dear hands, I know
    That you like writing poetry,
    But you can bring a metaphor to a gun fight.


    I was born on July 27th, I hear that makes me a Leo
    I don't really know what that means

    I'm 5 foot 6... and a half. I weigh a hundred and forty-five pounds
    I don't know how to swim, and I'm a sucker for a girl with a nice smile
    And clean sneakers

    I'm still learning how to whisper
    I'm often loud in places where I should be quiet
    I'm often quiet in places where I should be loud
    I was born feet first and I've been backwards ever since

    I like ginger ale... a lot.
    I've been told that I give really bad hugs
    People say that it feels like I'm trying to escape
    Sometimes it's because I am,
    and secretly I get really nervous
    Every time someone gets close enough to hear me breathe

    I have this odd fascination with things like sand castles and ice sculptures
    I assume it's because I usually find myself dedicating time to things
    That will only last a few moments

    That's also why I tend to fall in love with women
    Who would never love me back
    I know it sounds crazy, but it's actually much easier than it seems
    And to be honest, I think it's safer that way
    See relationships, they often remind me that I'm not afraid of heights or falling
    But I'm scared of what's gonna happen
    The moment that my body hits the ground
    I'm clumsy. Yesterday, I tripped over my self-esteem
    I landed on my pride and it shattered like an iPhone with a broken face
    Now I can't even tell who's trying to give me a compliment

    I've never been in the military, but I have this Purple Heart
    I got it from beating myself up over things I can't fix
    I know it sounds weird but sometimes,
    I wonder what my bed sheets say about me when I'm not around
    I wonder what the curtains would do if they found out
    About all the things that I've done behind their backs
    I've got a hamper that's overflowing with really, really loud mistakes
    And a graveyard in my closet, I'm afraid that if I let you see my skeletons
    You'll grind my bones into powder and get high on my fault lines

    Hi, my name is Rudy
    I enjoy frozen yogurt, people watching
    And laughing for absolutely no reason at all
    But I don't allow myself to cry as often as I need to
    I have solar-powered confidence, I have a battery-operated smile
    My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors
    And trying to convince my shadow that I'm someone worth following
    I don't know much, but I do know this
    I know that heaven is full of music
    I know God listens to my heart beat on his iPod
    It reminds him that we still got work to do.